[Ip-health] The Novartis case

Kapczynski, Amy amy.kapczynski at yale.edu
Mon Apr 1 07:46:32 PDT 2013

The idea that this is a blow for public health is based on arguments that
are about ten years old, and that have been refuted over and over again.
So I'll just make three brief points.

First, there's no doubt that price is an issue for access in countries
like India, and that patent status matters to price - of course not for
off-patent drugs, but for on-patent ones.   Is it a surprise that under
the spotlight of litigation of this sort, that companies ramp up access
programs?  Not at all.  But this case has always been about more than
Gleevec.

Second, this case isn't about patent protection per se, but whether
companies can get all kinds of secondary patents that effectively extend
patent terms, and encourage innovation of an incremental sort, and that
comparatively disadvantage breakthrough innovation.  There's nothing
irrational about trying to reserve patent protection for the most
innovative inventions - in fact, the US Supreme Court has repeatedly
stepped in in the US to raise our own patent standards, because they've
recognized that too much patent protection is bad for innovation.  The
Novartis decision will, if anything, probably have positive effects on
innovation.  It diminishes incentives to spend enormous sums on patent
prosecution and litigation, reserves patents for breakthrough inventions,
and maintains a high patent standard.

Third, if we're being serious about economics, we also have to put the
Indian system into global perspective.  This is about 1% of the world's
pharma market, so that the innovation effects are likely to be marginal in
any case.  So the access benefits that come from a decision like this are
the more significant issue, economically speaking.  If we actually valued
peoples lives equally, and talked not about purchasing power but health
equity, the merits of a decision like this become even more plain.

Amy Kapczynski

-----
Amy Kapczynski
Associate Professor of Law