[Ip-health] Academics' Expert Letter on LDCs' TRIPS Extension Request

Mohga Kamal-Yanni mkamalyanni at Oxfam.org.uk
Mon Apr 22 20:06:32 PDT 2013

I wonder if the diverse groups that stood firm against ACTA will be
interested to support the LDCs

Best wishes
___________________________________
Mohga -
Dr. Mohga M Kamal-Yanni
Senior health & HIV policy advisor
Oxfam GB
John Smith Drive, Oxford, OX4 2JY, UK
Tel:       + 44 (0) 1865 472290
UK Mobile   + 44 (0)777 62 55 884
Skype    Mohga Kamal-Yanni
Follow me @MohgaKamalYanni

From:   "Baker, Brook" <b.baker at neu.edu>
To:     IP-health listserve <ip-health at lists.keionline.org>
Date:   22/04/2013 16:05
Subject:        [Ip-health] Academics' Expert Letter on LDCs' TRIPS
Extension       Request
Sent by:        "Ip-health" <ip-health-bounces at lists.keionline.org>

Several of us are soliciting signatures from legal and other academics
around the world who focus on human rights, intellectual property, trade,
and development and who are in favor of the request by WTO least developed
country Members that they be granted an extension of the time period
within which they must become compliant with the TRIPS Agreement.  WTO LDC
Members were initially given an extension with respect to all TRIPS
requirements except national and most favored nation treatment until 2006.
 That transition period was further extended until June 30, 2013 in 2005
(a separate extension was granted on pharmaceuticals only until 2016) but
with some unfortunate conditions (beyond the unreasonably short term),
such as a requirement that LDCs must keep their current level of IP
protections, something that was not required by TRIPS Article 66.1.  The
current request from LDC Members is for an unconditional extension of the
transition period so long as an LDC Member is an!  LDC.

It is hoped that a longer and unconditional extension permitting rollback
of improvidently adopted IP standards will allow LDCs to build their
technological base and improve limiting domestic capacities.  This request
has received support from 350 civil society organizations, from some
industry groups, from several multilateral organizations, and from many
developing country members of the WTO.

We are seeking signatures beyond those who focus primarily on access to
medicine, to academics who are also concerned about IP impacts in LDCs on
access to information (especially IT, educational, and scientific
resources), agricultural resources, green and climate control/mitigation
technologies, and development more generally.  We already have 30 signers,
including several leading international IP and trade experts.

We need help getting the letter distributed to a broader group of global
academics, so would greatly appreciate your efforts in this regard.

There is some urgency since the US and EU are ramping up their pressure on
LDCs to impose a short and highly conditionalized extension and the final
TRIPS Council meeting will happen soon.  Therefore, we will be collecting
signatures until April 26.  Please send your sign-ons to me:
b.baker at neu.edu<mailto:b.baker at neu.edu>.

Brook
Professor Brook K. Baker

Health GAP (Global Access Project)
Northeastern U. School of Law
Program on Human Rights and the Global Economy
400 Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02115 USA
Honorary Research Fellow, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, S. Africa
(w) 617-373-3217
(cell) 617-259-0760
(fax) 617-373-5056
b.baker at neu.edu