[Ip-health] Academics' Expert Letter on LDCs' TRIPS Extension Request

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Tue Apr 23 12:23:31 PDT 2013

Dear Brook et al,

Though I'm extremely impressed by your work, I would not want to support
a letter which so explicitly acknowledges the legitimacy of IP, and
which simply asks for a time extension on compliance. It strikes me as
giving up too much principled ground. It would be the kind of reform
(some might term it 'reformist reform') that strengthens the system
rather than undermines it (the latter being a 'non-reformist reform').
Is a more principled stance not appropriate for a struggle in which
progressives won such a brilliant victory at Doha in 2001, where
exemptions to TRIPS were the demand, instead of the legitimation of IP?

Keep up the great work,
Patrick
http://ccs.ukzn.ac.za