[Ip-health] UNITAID Launches Call for Submissions for Next Round of Funding
courtneyc at unitaid.who.int
Thu Jun 6 00:58:17 PDT 2013
UNITAID is seeking to fund new innovative projects in order to increase access to treatment, diagnostic, and preventive products for HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis (TB), and malaria. In 2013, UNITAID made over $ 230 million in new grants available for a variety of projects.
UNITAID will be accepting letters of intent (LOIs) on proposed projects until 22 September 2013. Call details and LOI submission guidelines are available at: http://www.unitaid.org/calls. All ideas must be directly aligned with one or more of UNITAID's Strategic Objectives, part of UNITAID's recently-released Strategy 2013-2016 (http://www.unitaid.org/strategy):
1. Increase access to simple, point-of-care diagnostics for HIV/AIDS, TB, and malaria
2. Increase access to affordable, paediatric medicines to treat HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria
3. Increase access to emerging medicines and/or regimens, as well as new formulations, dosage forms, or strengths of existing medicines that will improve the treatment of HIV/AIDS and co infections such as viral hepatitis
4. Increase access to artemisinin-based combination therapies (ACTs) and emerging medicines, that, in combination with appropriate diagnostic testing, will improve the treatment of malaria
5. Secure supply of second-line TB medicines, and increase access to emerging medicines and regimens that will improve treatment of both drug-sensitive and multi drug-resistant TB
6. Increase access to products for the prevention of HIV, TB, and malaria
This current Call for LOIs places emphasis on Objectives 3, 4 and 5: new interventions focused on treatments for HIV/AIDS, TB and malaria.
LOIs are short conceptual presentations of proposed projects that can be submitted online in English or French to UNITAID. Proponents with successful LOIs will then be invited to submit full proposals for UNITAID funding. To learn more about UNITAID, visit UNITAID's 2012 Annual Report.
LOIs must be submitted to UNITAID by 17:00 Geneva (Switzerland) time (GMT+1) on Sunday 22 September 2013. Proponents will be notified by mid October 2013 as to whether they will be invited to submit a full project proposal based on the LOI. Requests for further information on this Call for LOIs should be sent to: loiunitaid at who.int .
UNITAID is a global health initiative launched in 2006 by the governments of Brazil, Chile, France, Norway and the United Kingdom to provide sustainable funding for the fight against HIV/AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis. About 70% of UNITAID's funds come from a small levy on airline tickets. Through implementers, UNITAID finances the purchase of medicines and diagnostics for patients in poor countries, using its market power to expand supply, promote development of new and better products, cut delivery lead times and reduce prices.
For more info: www.unitaid.org<http://www.unitaid.org>
Clare COURTNEY | Communications Manager | UNITAID
Tel. +41 22 791 4581 | Cell. +41 79 445 2280 | courtneyc at unitaid.who.int
web: www.unitaid.eu<http://www.unitaid.eu/> | Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/unitaidofficial> | Twitter<http://twitter.com/UNITAID> | Flickr<http://www.flickr.com/photos/53363253@N02/sets/> | Youtube<http://www.youtube.com/unitaid>
More information about the Ip-health