[Ip-health] General Counsel Position at the Medicines Patent Pool
kmara at medicinespatentpool.org
Tue Jun 11 07:06:06 PDT 2013
Applications for the Medicines Patent Pool's General Counsel close at the
end of this week. Please see details on the position and how to apply
Position: General Counsel
Location: Geneva, Switzerland with extensive international travel
The Medicines Patent Pool (MPP) is an independent public health foundation
based in Geneva, Switzerland, established with the support of UNITAID. The
mission of the MPP is to bring down the prices of HIV medicines and
technologies and facilitate development of better-adapted HIV medicines
and technologies, such as fixed-dose combinations and special formulations
for children, by creating a pool of relevant patents for sub-licensing and
For more information, please see our website, www.medicinespatentpool.org
The General Counsel will oversee legal aspects of the MPP¹s work,
reporting directly to the Executive Director. In particular, the General
Counsel will form a core part of the licence negotiation team that
conceptualises, negotiates and drafts public health-oriented licence
agreements. The General Counsel will provide critical input into the
strategic direction of the MPP, and manage the work of the legal team,
legal consultants and outside counsel. Specific responsibilities include:
* Working closely with the Business Development Director to devise
negotiation strategies and engaging in negotiations with relevant patent
* Drafting public health-oriented licence agreements;
* Drafting public health-oriented sub-licence agreements;
* Ongoing management of licences and sub-licences;
* Along with MPP¹s Policy team, engaging in policy discussions and
drafting policy briefs on topics relevant to the MPP¹s work;
* Leading the MPP¹s consultations with its Expert Advisory Group;
* Representing the MPP at relevant conferences, seminars and other
* Providing sound legal stewardship to the MPP, including its Governance
Board and its Expert Advisory Group;
* Managing and strengthening MPP¹s legal team, legal consultants and
* Ensuring MPP compliance with local Swiss law and all of MPP¹s
* Performing other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
The General Counsel will be a recognised expert in the fields of
intellectual property and licensing relevant to access to medicines in the
developing world. The General Counsel will have a thorough knowledge of
intellectual property law and practice, have experience negotiating and
drafting complex legal instruments, in particular pharmaceutical patent
licensing agreements, and sensitivity to the public health implications of
intellectual property provisions in those agreements.
The General Counsel will also have a demonstrated track record of relevant
high-quality legal and policy analysis.
* Demonstrable personal commitment to the public health goals of the MPP
* Sensitivity to different cultures and work styles
* Collaborative and supportive approach to teamwork and people management
EDUCATION AND SPECIAL TRAINING:
Postgraduate or equivalent advanced university degree in law.
EXPERIENCE (LENGTH AND NATURE):
At least 10 years experience practicing law, with substantial intellectual
property law experience related to public health in both the commercial
and public-interest settings.
USE OF LANGUAGES:
Native-level fluency in English is required.
Oral and written proficiency in a second language is strongly preferred.
The MPP respects all individuals regardless of race, gender, ethnicity,
sexual orientation, religion, HIV status or disability.
Please send a cover letter and C.V. to gro.looptnetapsenicidem at tnemtiurcer
by 15 June 2013.
More information about the Ip-health