[Ip-health] Do Pharmaceutical Firms Invest More Heavily in Countries with Data Exclusivity?"

Michael Palmedo mpalmedo at wcl.american.edu
Wed May 8 07:45:13 PDT 2013

Hello all.

I wanted to share my paper "Do Pharmaceutical Firms Invest More Heavily
in Countries with Data Exclusivity?" which will be coming out in
Currents International Trade Law Journal this summer.

Abstract:     Countries may choose various methods of data protection in
order to comply with the TRIPS Agreement. Policymakers should consider
the effects of data exclusivity on prices and investment relative to
other types of data protection. The data presented here suggest there is
no relationship between whether or not a country has data exclusivity,
and the amount of investment in the country by the pharmaceutical
industry. On the other hand, empirical evidence in previous papers has
shown that data exclusivity does drive prices higher.

Full paper: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2259797

Mike

--

Mike Palmedo

Program on Information Justice and Intellectual Property

American University Washington College of Law

4801 Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington, D.C. 20016

W: 202-274-4442 | M: 571-289-3683

wcl.ameican.edu | infojustice.org | pijip-impact.org