[Ip-health] (Fwd) Patent law still limits medicines access: new campaign led by TAC

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Mon Oct 20 04:49:18 PDT 2014

  NATIONAL SUMMIT DEMANDS IMMEDIATE PATENT LAW REFORM TO BRING DOWN
  PRICES OF MEDICINES

http://www.tac.org.za/news/national-summit-demands-immediate-patent-law-reform-bring-down-prices-medicines

October 20th, 2014—PRETORIA: Patients, doctors and members of civil
society meet today with government experts to plot a course for quickly
reforming South Africa’s patent laws, so that people can access the
life-saving medicines they need at affordable prices. The National
Summit on Intellectual Property (IP) and Access to Medicines in Pretoria
was organised by the Treatment Action Campaign (TAC) which is leading
the “Fix the Patents Laws’ coalition of 13 other civil society
organisations.

“My husband took out two loans amounting to R70,000 and my father felt
it was his duty to work overseas in order to help pay for this drug I
needed, linezolid
<https://www.msf.org.za/sites/msf.org.za/files/msf_linezolid_factsheet.pdf>,”
said Andaleeb Rinquest, who is completing her treatment for extensively
drug-resistant tuberculosis. “The government needs to fix the patent
laws so people and their families do not go broke trying to pay for
life-saving medicines.”

One year ago, the public comment period closed
<http://www.ip-watch.org/2013/11/18/comments-received-to-south-africas-process-for-new-ip-policy/> on
the government’s Draft National Policy on Intellectual Property. The
draft policy outlined bold reforms which, once implemented, would limit
abusive pharmaceutical patent monopolies in South Africa. If reforms go
ahead, new laws would lower drug prices for individuals and government
by eliminating unnecessary patents and stimulating competition from
generic drug companies. Multiple deadlines
<http://msf.org.za/msf-publications/new-age-mps-set-to-tackle-vital-patent-legislation-on-medicines> announced
by the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) for finalising the policy
have come and gone in the past year.

South Africa has faced intense pressure from multinational drug
companies seeking to delay patent law reform designed to lower medicine
prices. Earlier this year, the “PharmaGate” scandal revealed
<http://keionline.org/node/1908> a $600,000 plot by 25 multinational
pharmaceutical companies to covertly delay the finalisation of the
country’s IP policy until after May’s national elections.

While the PharmaGate plot was publically exposed and widely criticised,
the plot’s stated aim of delaying the process was nevertheless achieved.
At the same time, nearly 50,000 people worldwide have signed on
<https://www.change.org/p/stop-big-pharma-s-plot-to-keep-drugs-unaffordable> to
petitions
<http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/956/483/928/> supporting the
government to resist industry pressure and prioritise patent law reform.

“Our government has to show whether they serve the people of South
Africa, or the multinational pharmaceutical companies behind the
PharmaGate plot. Section 27 of the Bill of Rights in the Constitution
places a legal obligation on the state to put the health of the people
first,” said TAC General Secretary, Anele Yawa. “While we wait for
patent law reform, South Africans go without medicines that could save
their lives.”

Doctors also spoke out at the Summit today. “I can’t offer entecavir
<http://www.fixthepatentlaws.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Entecavir_Final1LD1.pdf> to
patients with hepatitis B & kidney disease—it costs over R4700 per
month,” says Dr. Monique Andersson. “Only eight patients in the entire
country access entecavir, but hundreds could benefit from less expensive
alternatives if South Africa stopped granting further patents on this drug.”

At the Summit, activists presented government representatives with
copies of anopen letter <http://bit.ly/1tzDvn6> to President Jacob Zuma
and the Minister of Trade and Industry, signed by over 80 organisations
and individuals from across the globe, including the former United
Nations Special Envoy for HIV/AIDS in Africa, Stephen Lewis, and Nobel
Prize winner in Physiology or Medicine, John Sulston.

The open letter demonstrated strong support for the government to resist
industry pressure, as it had done in the past when 39 multinational
pharmaceutical companies took Nelson Mandela’s government to court over
amendments to the Medicines and Related Substances Control Act. The
letter encouraged President Zuma to have his government immediately
finalise an IP policy that prioritises the lives and wellbeing of its
people over the private interests of pharmaceutical companies.

Kate Ribet, Media Liaison Officer, MSF SA
kate.ribet at joburg.msf.org <mailto:kate.ribet at joburg.msf.org> | 079 872
2950 <tel:079%20872%202950> | www.msf.org.za <http://www.msf.org.za/>