[Ip-health] Bayer's correspond with Nina Mahmud, rejecting request for affordable Nexavar for Fathi Helmi Aboseda, in Egypt

Jamie Love james.love at keionline.org
Tue Sep 23 05:18:51 PDT 2014

Note, this blog included a copy of Bayer's April 5, 2014 response to Nina
Mahmud, rejecting her request for affordable Nexavar for Fathi Helmi
Aboseda, a letter we are publishing for the first time.  Jamie

Source URL: http://keionline.org/node/2089

Bayer's correspond with Nina Mahmud, rejecting request for affordable
Nexavar for Fathi Helmi Aboseda, in Egypt

23. September 2014

Today we received news from Nina Mahmud that her father-in-law, Fathi Helmi
Aboseda, has passed away in Egypt. Mr. Aboseda was suffering from liver
cancer. Earlier this year, Nina Mahmud had contacted Bayer and KEI asking
for help in finding affordable copies of sorafenib, a drug for liver and
kidney cancer sold by Bayer under the trade name Nexavar, a drug that was
extending and improving the quality of his life. The price of Nexavar in
Egypt was $900 per week, and Mr. Aboseda had used his entire life savings
to buy the drug.

In an April 5, 2014 letter, which we are publishing here [see below], for
the first time, Bayer rejected her plea.

After Bayer rejected the request for a discount on the price of Nexavar in
India, several persons, including three persons in India and two people in
Egypt, found a way to bring a few months of generic copies of sorafenib to
Nina's family in Egypt. This turned out to be quite difficult.

* The India compulsory license for the patents on sorafenib did not permit
sales outside of the territory of Egypt, following pressure from the United
States, including personal interventions from President Obama, Vice
President Biden, two secretaries of Commerce, the head of the USPTO, the US
Department of State under Hillary Clinton and John Kerry, and Michael
Froman, now head of the USTR.
DHL refused to ship the generic versions of the drug from India to Egypt,
without an original copy of a prescription from an Indian doctor and a
certificate of drug registration from the Egyptian drug regulators.

* Egypt wanted the drug registered in Egypt before issuing a compulsory
license on the patents in Egypt.

* It was difficult to get timely visas for people from India or Egypt to
make a plane trip to deliver the drug.

* All of these barriers were overcome, but it was quite difficult , and not
something that can scale. These cases remind us why intellectual property
and trade policy are important.

Below are the correspondence between Nina Mahmud and Bayer, as well as some
video interviews we did with Nina during her February 2014 trip to
Washington, DC.

Our thoughts are with the Aboseda family, knowing this is a great loss for
them.

Jamie

Bayer's April 5, 2014 response to Nina Mahmud, rejecting request for
affordable Nexavar for Fathi Helmi Aboseda, in Egypt.