[Ip-health] Investment treaty, intellectual property on India-US agenda

Shailly Gupta shailly.gupta at geneva.msf.org
Fri Jan 16 02:21:06 PST 2015

http://zeenews.india.com/business/news/economy/investment-treaty-intellectua
l-property-on-india-us-agenda_116565.html

Washington: Intellectual property rights and a bilateral investment treaty
(BIT) would be key issues on the agenda in the ongoing India-US dialogue on
the economic front, according to a State Department official.

Secretary of State John Kerry had "a very good visit" to India recently for
Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Vibrant Gujarat economic summit, and a
variety of issues including IP and BIT were talked about, state department
spokesperson Marie Harf told reporters Thursday.

While she did not have anything to share about the path forward, Harf said
those "certainly are key issues that we talk about."

New York court dismissing a lawsuit accusing Modi of failure to control 2002
Gujarat riots saying as a sitting head of government he was entitled to
immunity.

"We've obviously seen the complaint that the federal district court against
Prime Minister Modi has been dismissed based on the executive branch's brief
that Prime Minister Modi is entitled to immunity as the sitting head of a
foreign government."

"We are pleased that the court deferred to the determination of the US
Government," she said noting "Courts have consistently dismissed cases
against sitting heads of government on the basis of their immunity."

Shailly Gupta

MSF Access Campaign

Ph: +91-9899976108

Skype : shailly.17