[Ip-health] WHA 68: MSF intervention on Global Strategy and Plan of Action on Public Health, Innovation and Intellectual Property

Michelle French Michelle.French at newyork.msf.org
Fri May 22 08:34:40 PDT 2015

 Available online here:
https://www.msfaccess.org/content/68th-wha-msfs-intervention-global-strategy-and-plan-action-public-health-innovation
See all our WHA 68 interventions and briefing documents here:
http://msfaccess.org/content/msf-68th-world-health-assembly-wha

WHO 68th World Health Assembly, 2015
Provisional agenda item 17.5 – Global Strategy and Plan of Action on
Public Health, Innovation and Intellectual Property
Speaker: Shailly Gupta

MSF strongly supports the 2022 extension of the mandate of the Global
Strategy and Plan of Action on Public Health, Innovation and Intellectual
Property.

We are far from fully implementing the Global Strategy. Every day MSF sees
the important role the Global Strategy, if fully and properly implemented,
could play in ensuring access and innovation to medicines.

Today we see increasing failures with our current system of research and
development (R&D) with respect to Ebola, AMR or a range of neglected
diseases. New essential medicines are coming to market at unaffordable
prices, including up to 1,000 USD per pill for medicines to treat
hepatitis C. The price of the basic vaccines package has increased 68-fold
since 2001, straining immunisation systems worldwide.

Instead of new approaches to R&D that could ensure needs-based innovation
and access, some governments, pushed by multinational pharmaceutical
companies, are seeking to increase intellectual property (IP) protection
worldwide, which will only deepen the challenges that MSF and others face
in accessing treatments, diagnostics and vaccines.

For example, 12 countries are continuing negotiations of the Trans-Pacific
Partnership Agreement this month.  This trade agreement could be the most
damaging ever for access to medicines.  India, the ‘pharmacy of the
developing world’, is under continuous pressure by developed countries and
drug companies to introduce strict IP rules that will undermine access to
medicines worldwide.

We hope WHO, with an extended mandate, can take bold and decisive action,
working with Member States to introduce policies to increase access to
medicines and introduce new models of innovation that de-link the
financing of R&D from the incentive of high prices. This can address the
shortcomings of the patent system that leaves millions of patients unable
to access unaffordable new medical tools, or simply without the tools that
the patent monopoly system neglects to create.

###

Michelle French
Sr. Communications Manager, MSF Access Campaign
Doctors Without Borders\Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)
Office: +1.212.763.5735 | Mobile: +1.646.552.4600
michelle.french at newyork.msf.org | Skype: michellejfrench
www.msfaccess.org | twitter.com/MSF_access | www.facebook.com/MSFaccess