[Ip-health] WHA 68: MSF Intervention on the Global Vaccine Action Plan

Michelle French Michelle.French at newyork.msf.org
Fri May 22 10:56:36 PDT 2015

Available online here:
https://www.msfaccess.org/content/68th-wha-msf-intervention-global-vaccine-action-plan
See all our WHA 68 interventions and briefing documents here:
http://www.msfaccess.org/content/msf-68th-world-health-assembly

68th WHA: MSF Intervention on the Global Vaccine Action Plan

WHO 68th World Health Assembly, 2015
Provisional agenda item 16.4 – Global Vaccine Action Plan
Speaker: Kate Elder

Last year, approximately 20 Member States expressed concern over high
prices of new vaccines, calling for WHO to help increase affordability. As
an organization struggling to afford new vaccines for our patients, MSF
sympathizes with these concerns. Many Member States, especially those
excluded from donor support and price negotiation mechanisms, cannot
afford the newest vaccines. These so-called middle-income countries
(MICs), which are not Gavi-eligible, represent 30% of the global birth
cohort. This will increase as more countries lose Gavi support. WHO
estimates that 82% of vaccine-preventable deaths will occur in MICs in
2025.

MSF’s Right Shot report found that even at the lowest global prices, the
three newest vaccines – against pneumonia, diarrhoea and human
papillomavirus – account for 86% of the price of the full WHO-recommended
vaccines package.

The vaccine price crisis threatens the success of the Decade of Vaccines
(DOV) and children’s lives. WHO acknowledged that more price data is
needed to improve affordability. MSF urges all Member States to make the
prices they pay publicly available though WHO’s Vaccine Product, Price and
Procurement project.

MSF is supporting these efforts with a public campaign calling on Pfizer
and GlaxoSmithKline to reduce the price of the pneumococcal conjugate
vaccine to $5 per child for all developing countries and MICs. At the
companies’ shareholder meetings, we asked them to publish the prices they
charge. Unsurprisingly, neither agreed. In fact, Pfizer claimed that it’s
the countries who request confidentiality in price contracts.

MSF welcomes the SAGE recommendations to get the DOV back on track, and
agrees that price transparency is critical to improving affordability. We
urge WHO and the DOV Secretariat to continue monitoring prices, and
governments to share price data. We invite Member States to join our
public campaign by using your voice to call for more affordable vaccines.

###

Michelle French
Sr. Communications Manager, MSF Access Campaign
Doctors Without Borders\Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)
Office: +1.212.763.5735 | Mobile: +1.646.552.4600
michelle.french at newyork.msf.org | Skype: michellejfrench
www.msfaccess.org | twitter.com/MSF_access | www.facebook.com/MSFaccess