[Ip-health] Just Biotherapeutics

Jamie Love james.love at keionline.org
Wed Aug 10 08:37:10 PDT 2016

These is the press page for Just Biotherapeutics.

Jamie

http://www.justbiotherapeutics.com/news

Press Release  |  July 25, 2016
Just Biotherapeutics, Inc. Secures $14M Series A2 Funding
To Build Laboratory, Pilot Plant And GMP Capabilities

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Merck, Lilly Asia Ventures, ARCH Venture
Partners back company’s mission to expand access to biotherapeutics

Seattle, WA | July 25, 2016  – Just Biotherapeutics, Inc., an organization
dedicated to expanding global access to important protein therapeutics,
today announced the closing of a $14M Series A2 financing round. The Bill &
Melinda Gates Foundation led the financing with an $8M investment followed
by $2M each from existing investors Merck, Lilly Asia Ventures and ARCH
Venture Partners. The proceeds will support the completion of new lab
space, pilot plant and GMP capabilities that will enable Just to accelerate
the development of lower cost biologics.
“We are grateful for this significant investment from the foundation, and
for the loyal support of our Series A investors,” said Jim Thomas, CEO and
co-founder of Just. “With this infusion of capital we will complete the
buildout of our integrated lab infrastructure and add critical pilot plant
and GMP manufacturing capabilities to Just.”

Previously, Just was awarded grant funding from the foundation (up to $24M,
over 4 years) to develop novel technologies to lower the commercial cost of
monoclonal antibodies (“mAbs”) in low income markets and to develop
sequence optimized broadly neutralizing anti-HIV antibodies for low cost
manufacture and improved stability. The foundation’s equity investment will
enable its partners to test new low-cost products that may have a
significant impact on fighting infectious diseases that disproportionately
affect the world’s poorest people.
The initial Series A investment of $15M by Merck, known as MSD outside of
the United States and Canada, LAV and ARCH was to advance development of a
novel technology platform for biologic medicines.

About Just. Founded in 2014, Just is led by an experienced team in the
fields of protein, process and manufacturing sciences. The Just team came
together to solve the scientific and technical hurdles that block access to
life changing protein therapeutics; from the design of therapeutic
molecules to the design of the manufacturing plants used to produce them.
Our focus and passion is to create access and value for a global market
through scientific and technological innovation.

Media Contact: media at justbiotherapeutics.com

Press Release  |  November 6, 2015
Just Biotherapeutics, Inc. Receives Grant To Develop Sequence

Optimized Broadly Neutralizing Anti-HIV Antibodies for Low Cost

Manufacture and Improved Stability

Company will Receive up to $9.4M Over 4 Years From the Bill & Melinda Gates
Foundation

Seattle, WA | November 6, 2015  – Just, an organization dedicated to
designing and applying innovative technologies to expand global access to
biotherapeutics, today announced it has received additional funding from
the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Under terms of the agreement, Just will receive up to $9.4M in funding over
4 years to develop sequence optimized broadly neutralizing anti-HIV
antibodies for clinical evaluation. Building on the discovery efforts of
several leading laboratories, partially funded by the Gates Foundation,
Just will improve candidate molecules to lower the cost of manufacturing
and to simplify distribution in low and middle-income countries by
developing more stable therapeutics.

“Just will partner with some of the best laboratories in the field of HIV
research, developing biologics for HIV prevention that could potentially
reduce the spread of AIDS in low and middle-income countries,” said Jim
Thomas, CEO of Just. “We are grateful for this exciting opportunity”.

Media Contact: media at justbiotherapeutics.com

Media Coverage  |  September 25, 2015
Puget Sound Business Journal.
These former Amgen scientists just got $30M.
Here’s how they plan to change the world
By Annie Zak

Access to lifesaving drugs can sometimes be difficult to attain in the
areas where the need for those medicines is highest. Some drugs might be
too expensive for use in developing countries, and those countries don’t
always have the infrastructure needed to support drug manufacturing
facilities.

A young Seattle company is hoping to change that.  Click here for the rest
of the story.

Media Coverage  |  September 18, 2015
Timmerman Report.
Just Snags $15M From Merck, Lilly, ARCH for Low-Cost Biotech Drugs
By Luke Timmerman
Startup biotech drugmakers usually aspire to make something innovative, and
someday be rewarded with sky-high prices. Just Biotherapeutics wants to do
the innovation piece, but it has different ideas about price.
Click here to learn more

Press release  |  September 18, 2015
Just Biotherapeutics, Inc. Secures $15M Series A Funding To Advance
Development of Novel Technology Platform for Biologic Medicines
Merck, Lilly Asia Ventures, ARCH Venture Partners back company’s mission to
expand access to biotherapeutics
Click here to learn more

Press release  |  September 2, 2015
LabKey Software Partners with Just Biotherapeutics, Inc.
New software product targets biotherapeutic research and development
Click here to learn more

Press release  |  August 9, 2015
Just Biotherapeutics, Inc. Receives Grant To Develop
Novel Technologies To Lower The Commercial Cost Of
Monoclonal Antibodies In Low Income Markets
Company will Receive up to $15M Over 5 Years From the Bill & Melinda Gates
Foundation to Dramatically Expand World-Wide Access to Biotherapeutics
Click here to learn more

---------------------------------------
Just. was founded in 2014 by an experienced team spanning the fields of
protein, process and manufacturing sciences to help complete a mission that
began in the early 1980’s. This mission has been to solve the scientific
and technical hurdles blocking access to life changing protein
therapeutics. Enormous progress has been made over the last 30 years in
biotechnology, with the discovery and development of new and effective
protein therapeutics across the spectrum of human disease. The cost of
making these complex therapeutics has also decreased substantially, but
unfortunately not enough, to make current and future protein therapeutics
accessible to a growing global population. Completing the mission will
require an intense focus on the development of innovative and integrated
technologies; from the design of therapeutic molecules to the design of the
plants used for manufacturing them.  This is why Just was founded.

We decided to name the company Just because the word suggests a sense of
fairness and equality. A minority of our world is enjoying a literal
medical revolution as the understanding of biology enables the discovery
and development of life changing therapeutics. At Just, our passion and
mission is to help bring this medical revolution to the entire world.

Interested partners and investors aligned with our mission are invited to
contact us for more information.