[Ip-health] Study: 12 weeks of SOF+DAC can be produced for 200 USD

Dzintars Gotham dzintarsgotham at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 00:53:03 PST 2016

Dear colleagues,

We recently published a short analysis demonstrating the rapid decreases in
cost of production of sofosbuvir and daclatasvir, and showing that, even
including a 50% markup, 12 weeks of sofosbuvir and daclatasvir can
currently be produced for 200 USD.

The full paper, published in the Journal of Virus Eradication, is available
here:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/289712197_Rapid_reductions_in_prices_for_generic_sofosbuvir_and_daclatasvir_to_treat_hepatitis_C

I am copying the abstract below.

Best regards,

Dzintars Gotham

Imperial College School of Medicine

**

Objectives: Novel treatments for hepatitis C demonstrate high cure rates,
but current high prices can be a barrier to rapid global treatment
scale-up. Generic competition can rapidly lower drug prices. Using data on
exports of raw materials in 2015, we calculated currently feasible generic
prices of sofosbuvir and daclatasvir.

Methods: Data on per-kilogram prices of sofosbuvir and daclatasvir active
pharmaceutical ingredients (API) exported from India were extracted from an
online database. To the cost of the amount of API needed for a 12-week
treatment course, we added cost estimates for formulation (40%), packaging
(US$0.35/month), and a mark-up (50%).

Results: Between 1 January and 15 October 2015, over 5 tons of sofosbuvir
were exported, with prices decreasing by US$702/kg/month, and observed
prices of US$2501/kg in early September. Over the same period, 84 kg of
daclatasvir were exported, with prices decreasing by US$1664/kg/month to
US$1897/kg. Using the price estimation algorithm, we estimated the price of
a generic sofosbuvir–daclatasvir combination regimen at US$200 per patient
for a 12-week treatment course.

Conclusion: The costs of generic production of sofosbuvir and daclatasvir
are rapidly decreasing. Sofosbuvir–daclatasvir combination treatment could
be produced for US$200 per patient per 12-week course.