[Ip-health] Médecins Sans Frontières R&D Report: Lives on the Edge

Katy Athersuch katy.athersuch at gmail.com
Mon May 2 04:29:50 PDT 2016

Dear All,

Please find here a link to a new report on Research and Development
released by the MSF Access Campaign today: 'Lives on the Edge: Time to
align medical research and development with people’s health needs':
https://www.msfaccess.org/content/rd-report-lives-edge

'Every day, MSF staff confront significant gaps in the availability of
medical tools to address the health needs of the people we aim to care for,
in crisis-affected communities in more than 60 countries. These gaps –
which have persisted for as long as MSF has been in operation – contribute
to preventable deaths and exacerbate ongoing humanitarian and medical
crises.
Filling these gaps with effective, affordable vaccines, diagnostics and
treatments that can be used in a range of contexts, including
underresourced and unstable places, could save innumerable lives.

In this report, MSF illustrates how our staff and patients around the world
are impacted by the way biomedical research and development (R&D) is
predominantly conducted today. The report also looks at a broad range of
policies aimed at changing this dynamic by incentivising the development of
medical tools that truly respond to patient and public health needs, and
ensuring they are made broadly accessible.'

I hope you find this a useful resource.

Best regards,
Katy