[Ip-health] 'Government Patent Use': A Legal Approach to Reducing Drug Spending

Jamie Love james.love at keionline.org
Tue May 3 14:04:45 PDT 2016

The uncertainly over the compensation is uncertainly about how much less
the government would pay when using 28 USC 1498.   If the government use of
the product is insensitive to the price, then 28 USC 1498 is more
appealing, because you would have bought the product anyway, at a high
price.  But if you intend to use it more intensively if the price is lower,
such as treating everyone who has HCV, rather than patients with advanced
disease, or stockpiling Cipro, then the compensation becomes a risk to
consider.  Having read a lot of 1498(a) cases, the compensation is hard to
predict.  I agree that the rules for the government have some attractive
features, but depending upon the context and the judge, there can be some
unpleasant surprises too.

Jamie