[Ip-health] 'Government Patent Use': A Legal Approach to Reducing Drug Spending

Jamie Love james.love at keionline.org
Tue May 3 17:25:53 PDT 2016

Amy,

Sorry if I sound too negative on the compensation issues.  I agree with
you, that there is some good case law, and I also agree that the executive
branch should test the law, particularly in cases where better options at
not available, or where the government could not do worse.  Just raising
the issue in the Cipro case was sufficient to make the negotiations on the
price quite favorable.  But test cases can also take a while to work their
way through the appeals court, so there is that too.    But, since doing
nothing is the worst option for a number of scenarios, good that you and
Aaron focus attention on this, as another mechanism that should be used.

Jamie