[Ip-health] Trump and Prescription Drug Prices

Ma Gagnon MarcAndreGagnon at cunet.carleton.ca
Thu Nov 17 06:23:49 PST 2016

Yes, but this was pure BS. Medicare part D buys around $75 billions/year of prescription drugs.
Difficult to save $300 billions out of a budget of $75 billions...
I had a paper on this with Sidney Wolfe: http://carleton.ca/sppa/wp-content/uploads/Mirror-Mirror-Medicare-Part-D-Released.pdf
Note that by itself, Medicare Part D represents 7% of the world's market for prescription drugs, the bargaining power could be huge but we estimated potential savings at around $16 billions/year.
All the best,
Marc-André

Marc-André Gagnon, PhD
Visiting Professor, University of Ottawa
tel: 613-562-5800 x3286
e-mail: ma_gagnon at carleton.ca
Twitter: @MA_Gagnon

Ottawa Centre for Health Law, Policy and Ethics
57 Louis-Pasteur
Ottawa, ON (Canada)
K1N 6N5