[Ip-health] Doggett & 50 Dems to Trump: Use your march-in authority

Peter Maybarduk pmaybarduk at citizen.org
Tue Apr 4 11:12:33 PDT 2017

Rep. Doggett’s statement is here: https://doggett.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/congressional-democrats-trump-we-re-calling-your-hand-lower-prescription

"Today, 51 members of Congress, led by U.S. Congressman Lloyd Doggett (D-TX), a senior member of the Ways and Means Committee and a leader of the House Prescription Drug Task Force, urged President Donald Trump to fulfill his oft-repeated promise to lower prescription drug prices. Rep. Doggett and his colleagues asked President Trump to protect public access to drugs developed with public dollars."

###

Public Citizen Applauds Rep. Doggett and 50 Members of Congress Who Called on Trump to Use His Authority to Lower Medication Prices
Statement of Peter Maybarduk, Director, Public Citizen’s Access to Medicines Program

April 4, 2017

Angela Bradbery, abradbery at citizen.org, (202) 588-7741
Don Owens, dowens at citizen.org, (202) 588-7767

American taxpayers support the essential research for many new classes of medications and other medical technologies, through the National Institutes of Health (NIH), to the tune of $30 billion a year. Prescription medication corporations rip off American taxpayers when they turn around and charge outrageous monopoly prices for the same life-or-death medicines, forcing the rationing of the health care we need. We have the right, and the administration has the power, to authorize competition when corporations price gouge people.

The president has indicated that he wants to fight high prescription prices. We can make medicines affordable for all. NIH should authorize generic competition with expensive patented medications to bring rogue corporations back in line.

Read the letter here: http://www.citizen.org/documents/letter-from-members-of-congress-to-trump-taxpayer-protection-march-in-rights.pdf

###