[Ip-health] Laurie Garrett mention of Roger Bate

Jamie Love james.love at keionline.org
Thu Aug 24 06:41:56 PDT 2017

Laurie Garrett's 7655 word essay about how great she is includes this cite
to Roger Bate.  For those who don't know him, Roger Bate is considered one
of the most appalling persons in the health field, who got this start
defending chemical and other companies on environmental issues, tobacco
companies, and latter big pharma.   Jamie

https://www.cfr.org/about/newsletters/archive/newsletter/n4718

FRAUDULENT PHARMACEUTICALS

Margaret Hamburg was named commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration
(FDA), where she came to appreciate how dependent the United States had
become on foreign-made active pharmaceutical ingredients as the basic
ingredients of the drug industry. It seemed to be a Wild West situation,
almost devoid of global governance, filled with fraud, counterfeiting,
medicines contamination, and homicidal outcomes. Hamburg, a long-standing
member of CFR, asked that we look at the policy options for minimizing
worldwide pharmaceutical fraud. Her policy staff at the FDA was smart and
dedicated, and we worked very well together. In 2012, I released a Policy
Innovation Memorandum, “Ensuring the Safety and Integrity of the World’s
Drug, Vaccine, and Medicines Supply.” I was honored when Roger Bate of the
American Enterprise Institute, commenting on a 2012 resolution by the Group
of Eight (G8), kindly wrote, “Laurie Garrett deserves much credit for this
statement,” citing my memorandum.

http://www.keionline.org/donate.html
+41.76.413.6584, twitter.com/jamie_love