[Ip-health] Chilean Cámara de Diputados votes overwhelmingly to advance compulsory licensing of drug patents.

Andrew S. Goldman andrew.goldman at keionline.org
Wed Jan 25 14:03:19 PST 2017

An unofficial English translation of the quoted Spanish section of the
Chilean resolution (I have added this to the blog):

1.-To the Ministry of Health:
A) To incorporate and use the compulsory licensing mechanism provided for
in article 51 numeral 2) of the industrial property law, especially for
reasons of Public Health and non-commercial government use, to facilitate
its acquisition at competitive prices both by the public services as well
as by the private health services and the population that requires it; And
ultimately guarantee their access.

B) To elaborate administrative directives, circulars and protocols or
procedures within the health sector for the selection and prioritization of
products or procedures related to medicines subject to patents that must be
considered for purposes of compulsory licensing requirements based on
public health reasons and non-commercial government use.

2.- The Ministry of Economy, Development and Tourism
A) To review and update the regulation of said article 51 of the industrial
property law 19039 for the purpose of developing and complementing what is
established in said legal provision, granting a greater degree of fluidity
and legal certainty for its application by the competent bodies and
Individuals.

B) To develop and publish administrative guidelines for the granting of
such licenses consistent with the objective of protection of the right to
health and life, including parameters and other criteria for the purposes
of determining remuneration and other conditions for the granting of the
said licenses.

--
Andrew S. Goldman
Counsel, Policy and Legal Affairs