[Ip-health] EB140 heats up during discussions of proposed changes to resolution on TOR of Overall Programme Review of GSPOA

Thiru Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Sat Jan 28 01:55:09 PST 2017

http://keionline.org/node/2718

EB140 heats up during discussions of proposed changes to resolution on TOR
of Overall Programme Review of GSPOA

   -

Submitted by thiru <http://keionline.org/user/6> on 28. January 2017

* (The author thanks the PHM Watchers for their notes of the WHO EB140
deliberations).

On Saturday, 28 January 2017, the Secretariat of the World Health
Organization (WHO) published a marked up, track changed version of the
Terms of Reference of the Overall Programme Review of the WHO Global
Strategy and Plan of Action on Public Health, Innovation and Intellectual
Property based on comments by Fiji, Thailand and the United States of
America. This document can be found here
<http://apps.who.int/gb/ebwha/pdf_files/EB140/B140_CONF7-en.pdf>:
http://apps.who.int/gb/ebwha/pdf_files/EB140/B140_CONF7-en.pdf

Among the changes requested by the United States of America was the
specific inclusion of the phrase "including public-and private-sector
entities involved in biomedical research and development" of the last
sentence of paragraph 1:

Guided by the report of the comprehensive evaluation and, where
appropriate, taking into account other evidence and involving relevant
stakeholders, *including public-and private-sector entities involved in
biomedical research and development*, the programme review will:

A new paragraph c Bis is proposed:

*(c BIS) ensure that over the course of the evaluation, there is
appropriate input and review by the three agencies specified in Resolution
WHA61.21 as implementers of the global strategy and plan of action on
public health, innovation and intellectual property, specifically WIPO, WTO
and UNCTAD;*

New language in paragraph d is proposed (new text in bold):

*(d) based on an assessment of the costs and benefits of the global
strategy and plan of action, determine whether it should be continued to
2022 and, if it is continued, provide *details of what may need to be
improved and modified in the next stage of *its* implementation

A new paragraph 2 is proposed:

*2. The final report of the overall programme review of the global strategy
and plan of action on public health, innovation and intellectual property,
focusing on its achievements, remaining challenges and recommendations on
the way forward will be presented to the Seventy-first WHA in 2018 through
the Executive Board at its 142nd session of the EB.*

On Friday evening, 27 January 2017, the Executive Board attempted a read
through of this document (with the new track changes proposed by Fiji,
Thailand and the United States).

Algeria asked the proponents to explain the rationale behind the amendments.

The United States responded:

The goal of the group should be to seek to identify areas of consensus, so
that there is some consensus in the group and that makes it easier for the
WHA to come to some decision. We are trying to avoid a situation such as
the UNHLP report where there is no consensus. This is to be done in line
with the ten principles of GSPOA. We are feeling that something we often
have not done is take the innovators in the conversation, we need to talk
to the innovators. We always talk about access, and we don’t recognize the
impact of unintended consequences of innovation.

The Chair (Raymond Busuttil, Malta) asked the Board, "can I ask, is the
process we are adopting satisfactory or we should prepare conference paper
in all languages and defer?"

Canada requested more time to digest the contents of the proposed changes
to the resolution.

The Chair suspended Friday evening's consideration of the overall programme
review of the global strategy and plan of action on public health,
innovation and intellectual property. It is expected that Executive Board
will resume discussions on the GSPOA either on Monday, 30 January 2017 or
Tuesday, 31 January 2017.