[Ip-health] HAI Media Statement: European Parliament Hits Target in Recommendations for Improving Access to Medicines

James Still James at haiweb.org
Fri Mar 3 04:19:51 PST 2017

Dear IP Health,

Health Action International today released a statement
[http://bit.ly/2lGEwYC] (shown below) regarding the adoption of the Report
on European Union (EU) Options for Improving Access to Medicines by the
European Parliament.

The report contains a number of positive provisions for that could improve
access to medicines in the European Union. HAI will be urging the European
Commission and Member States to follow up on the report and implement the
most positive provisions.

Kind regards,
--
James Still
Communications Advisor

MEDIA STATEMENT
For immediate release

European Parliament Hits Target in Recommendations for Improving Access to
Medicines

AMSTERDAM‹
Health Action International commends the European Parliament for its
Report on European Union (EU) Options for Improving Access to
Medicines, the timing of which is crucial given the increasing inability
for healthcare systems to provide access to high-priced medicines.

We applaud Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) for identifying high
and unaffordable medicine prices, imbalanced patent rules, and the lack of
needs-driven research and development (R&D) as the key barriers hindering
access to medicines and therapeutic advancement. We strongly support their
calls for biomedical R&D to be driven by unmet medical needs, such as the
growing threat of antimicrobial resistance, and for increased transparency
of R&D costs, including the proportion funded by the public.

We urge the European Medicines Agency to note MEPs¹ recommendation that
early access schemes only be used in situations of high unmet medical
need. In addition, we strongly support their view that robust clinical
trials and thorough pharmacovigilance monitoring are necessary to assess
medicines safety and efficacy.

Finally, Health Action International welcomes the European Parliament¹s
support to the June 2016 Council Conclusions, which ask the Commission to
conduct a social impact analysis of current intellectual property rules.

We now urge that the European Commission and Member States follow up on
this report and implement provisions that will improve access to medicines
in the European Union.

For interview requests and further information, please contact:
James Still
Communications Advisor
Health Action International
Tel: +31 20 412 4523
Email: james at haiweb.org

Health Action International is the only non-governmental organisation
entirely dedicated to strengthening pharmaceutical policy to improve
public health. Our staff and global network of members have expertise in
virtually all areas of medicines policy, including the price, availability
and affordability of medicines, clinical data transparency, intellectual
property and pharmaceutical marketing. We pursue advocacy at the patient
level and up to the highest levels of government through our Œofficial
relations¹ status with the World Health Organization and respected
relationship with the European Medicines Agency. We are financially
independent from the pharmaceutical industry.
- END -