[Ip-health] Overpatented, Overpriced: How Excessive Pharmaceutical Patenting is Extending Monopolies and Driving Up Drug Prices

Tahir Amin tahir at i-mak.org
Sat Aug 4 08:54:15 PDT 2018

*This week I-MAK released its latest report on the drug patent problem.
"Overpatented, Overpriced: How Excessive Pharmaceutical Patenting is
Extending Monopolies and Driving up Drug Prices"
<http://www.i-mak.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/I-MAK-Overpatented-Overpriced-Report.pdf>The
report analyzes the twelve best selling drugs in the United States and
shows how drugmakers file hundreds of patent applications – the vast
majority of which are granted – to extend their monopolies far beyond the
twenty years of protection intended under U.S. patent law.“Overpatented”
shows vividly how drugmakers abuse the patent system to introduce repeated
and extensive price hikes to block generic competition for years or
decades.You can also read more about the report here
<https://www.axios.com/newsletters/axios-vitals-f3ecda12-5466-4413-aa5a-53f7b2e4fef7.html>.*--

Tahir Amin
Co-Founder and Co-Executive Director
Initiative for Medicines, Access & Knowledge (I-MAK)
*Website:* www.i-mak.org
*Email:* tahir at i-mak.org
*Skype: *tahirmamin
Twitter: @IMAKglobal
*Tel:* +1 917 455 6601 <(917)%20455-6601>/+44 771 853 9472
<+44%207718%20539472>