[Ip-health] Mother Whose Son Died After Rationing Insulin Confronts Eli Lilly Leadership

Fran Quigley fwquigley at gmail.com
Tue May 8 11:08:37 PDT 2018

https://www.wfyi.org/news/articles/after-losing-her-son-advocate-addresses-eli-lilly-executives-on-insulin-prices

The annual shareholder meeting and the subsequent face-to-face with Lilly USA head for diabetes were not public, but I had the privilege of accompanying Nicole Smith-Holt there. I have seen a few emotional moments in courtrooms and negotiations over the years, but I have never seen a more compelling presentation than the one she made.

An example: After her account of her son Alec’s death from diabetic ketoacidosis left her and others in tears (her statement is reproduced in the article), the Lilly VP appropriately expressed deep regret, said he would share her story with his team, and promised that the company would work to do better. To which Nicole wiped her tears, met his gaze, and said “So what does that look like?”

Not content with the answer, she extracted a promise for personal follow-up, and vowed that she and other advocates would not stop until insulin and other essential medicines are available to all. Her poise and strength were breathtaking.

Fran Quigley
PFAM: People of Faith for Access to Medicines, www.pfamrx.org, (317) 750-4891
Also: Clinical Professor, Health & Human Rights Clinic, Indiana University McKinney School of Law