[Ip-health] IP-Watch: WIPO Election: Who Will Run To Be The Next DG?

Thiru Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Mon Mar 18 08:16:10 PDT 2019

https://www.ip-watch.org/2019/03/18/wipo-election-who-will-run-to-be-the-next-dg/

WIPO Election: Who Will Run To Be The Next DG?

18/03/2019 BY WILLIAM NEW, INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY WATCH

The decision is a year away, but there has been buzz for months around who
might run in the election to be the next director general of the World
Intellectual Property Organization. Intellectual Property Watch shares with
you some of the names we’ve heard in the early going, completely
unofficially and in no way intended to be exhaustive.

WIPO will elect a new director general in 2020.

The first thing to know is that there seems to be an understanding, at
least among the interested regions themselves, that the next director will
come from Latin America or the Asia-Pacific. This is despite the fact that
WIPO has no formal geographical rotation in its top leadership. Three of
WIPO’s four past directors, including the current one, Francis Gurry of
Australia, have come from the WIPO geographical group made up of developed
countries. The fourth came from Africa.

WIPO did not respond to a request by press time, but it does not appear
that there is a timeline set up yet for the 2020 election. Based on the
past, it seems likely that candidates will start being made official in
fall of 2019, with the election in spring of 2020. Note that none of the
people listed in this article confirmed their intention to run for director
general.

Intellectual Property Watch detailed past procedures and the election
process from last time around in 2014 in this article (IPW, WIPO, 16
October 2017). There has been vying for more regional representation on the
WIPO Coordination Committee, which makes the selection of director general
and passes it on to the full membership for final approval. This
Intellectual Property Watch article from the October 2018 annual General
Assembly details that debate (IPW, WIPO, 10 October).

A reasonable place to look for potential candidates is the WIPO senior
management team, which can be seen here, and indeed several have been
regularly mentioned and have not outright denied it.

Meanwhile, the WIPO director general is limited to two 6-year terms by a
decision of member states. But there is a question as to whether a
sufficient number of the member states have ratified that decision. This,
and the usual buzz around WIPO (like any UN agency), has led to
unsubstantiated rumours that Gurry, who took over in 2008, might be
considering seeking to stay on for a couple more years. No reason has been
given as to why a couple of years would be the plan, and Gurry himself has
given no indication, public or otherwise (according to sources), that he
has any intention of staying on.

Latin America

So far, chatter and signals have indicated a few candidates from the
region, including from Argentina, Chile, and Mexico. Brazil, whose
candidate narrowly missed winning the election by one vote in 2008, is
unlikely to vie for WIPO this time around since in the intervening time it
has taken the top spot at the neighbouring World Trade Organization,
according to sources.

>From Mexico, Miguel Ángel Margáin, the now-former director general of the
Mexican Institute of Industrial Property (IMPI), was mentioned as a
possible candidate around the time of the October 2018 annual WIPO General
Assembly.

In Chile, a top name mentioned is current WIPO Deputy Director General
Mario Matus, responsible for the Development Sector, a veteran trade
negotiator and former ambassador in Geneva who held leadership positions at
the World Trade Organization.

Also from Chile, some have mentioned in the conversation that Maximiliano
Santa Cruz recently completed his terms as director of the Chilean IP
office and is well known to the WIPO community, having been a negotiator in
Geneva for years and having chaired a key patent committee at WIPO some
years ago.

Chile tends to be viewed as having a crossover role between developing and
developed countries, which could help its cause.

However, Chile’s chance to head WIPO might now be affected by the fact that
Michelle Bachelet, the former President of Chile, having taken over in
September 2018 as the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, which
neighbours WIPO in Geneva.

Meanwhile, a seemingly new arrival on the whisper circuit is Dámaso Pardo
of Argentina. Pardo is the head of Argentina’s Instituto Nacional de la
Propiedad Industrial (INPI) and current chair of the important WIPO
Standing Committee on the Law of Patents (SCP).

It might possibly be considered that Argentina also has the head of a UN
agency in Geneva. Lelio Marmora has been Executive Director of UNITAID
since 2014.

Asia

>From Asia, the countries that are commonly mentioned in speculation are
Singapore, China, and India. Note that some have mentioned that Gurry, from
Australia, could be classified as hailing from the Asia-Pacific region. But
technically, Australia groups itself outside of the region, with the other
developed countries (including Japan) in the so-called Group B.

>From Singapore, Daren Tang Heng Shim, the head of the Singapore IP Office
and chair of the WIPO Committee on Copyright and Related Rights (SCCR).
Tang has been active and visible, engaging with member states, leading
trainings, and publishing. Like Chile, some indicated that Singapore could
be seen as playing a kind of crossover role between developed and
developing countries.

>From China, WIPO Deputy Director General Wang Binyang, who heads the Brands
and Designs Sector, has been rumoured to be possible. Wang is the highest
ranking Chinese official ever at WIPO, and could be poised to climb even
higher.

>From India, a long-mentioned possible successor to Gurry is Naresh Prasad,
his chief of staff. Prasad distinguished himself some years ago as an
effective negotiator at WIPO for India, and then joined WIPO.

In sum, there is a long way to go and it is possible that none of these
names will appear and many others not mentioned may surface in the months
ahead. But one thing is clear, election season has arrived at WIPO.

--
Thiru Balasubramaniam
Geneva Representative
thiru at keionline.org