[Ip-health] The Medicines Patent Pool is recruiting an Associate Counsel for its Geneva office
sthievenaz at medicinespatentpool.org
Fri Jan 24 01:58:10 PST 2020
The Medicines Patent Pool is recruiting an Associate Counsel for its Geneva office. The deadline for applying is 16 February. Please share among your networks.
Here is the job description:
Location: Geneva, Switzerland with potential international travel
The Medicines Patent Pool (MPP) is a United Nations-backed public health organisation working to increase access to, and facilitate the development of, life-saving medicines for low- and middle-income countries. Through its innovative business model, MPP partners with civil society, governments, international organisations, industry, patient groups and other stakeholders, to prioritise and license needed medicines and pool intellectual property to encourage generic manufacture and the development of new formulations. To date, MPP has signed agreements with ten patent holders for thirteen HIV antiretrovirals, one HIV technology platform, three hepatitis C direct-acting antivirals and a tuberculosis treatment. MPP was founded by Unitaid, which serves as sole funder for MPP’s activities in HIV, hepatitis C and tuberculosis.
MPP is now expanding its activities to cover Essential Medicines, which requires engagement with many new stakeholders, including potential funders.
The Associate Counsel works under the supervision of the General Counsel as part of a small, dynamic legal team to provide sound legal stewardship and strategic advice in all facets of the organisation’s affairs.
* Develop legal analysis for negotiations, participate in negotiations and drafting of licensing agreements under the supervision of the General Counsel;
* Conduct legal research on intellectual property and licensing issues of importance to the organisation;
* Liaise with the MPP’s Expert Advisory Group (EAG) and Scientific Advisory Panel (SAP), develop evaluation frameworks, draft reports, organise meetings under the supervision of the General Counsel;
* Liaise with the MPP’s Compliance Officer and the Ethics and Compliance Subcommittee of the MPP Board to ensure compliance with MPP internal policies;
* Liaise with local Swiss counsel and external counsel in India for the day-to-day management of MPP and its Liaison Office;
* Provide legal advice to the Operations Manager and, HR Manager on legal aspects of programme management;
* Review and drafting of other general contracts and documents;
* Perform other duties as assigned by the General Counsel.
* Strong knowledge of patent law within the international framework;
* Strong knowledge of intellectual property licensing;
* Demonstrated excellence in legal research, analysis and writing skills;
* Experience in negotiating and drafting legal documents;
* Strong knowledge of issues related to intellectual property and access to medicines in developing countries;
* Experience with the pharmaceutical industry an asset;
* Excellent attention to detail.
Education and special training: Postgraduate degree in law. Degree in public health or other relevant area a plus.
Experience (length and nature): 5 to 10 years of experience practicing law.
Use of Languages: Native-level fluency in English is required. Oral and written proficiency in a second language is a plus.
MPP’s richness lies in its staff: a small dynamic and multicultural team!
To flourish in our team, you must recognise yourself in our values: Respect, Courage, Teamwork and Commitment.
Moreover, the Associate Counsel will need to demonstrate:
* Organisation skills, autonomy and ability to work within short timelines;
* Ability to work analytically, creatively and proactively in a problem-solving environment;
* Collaborative and supportive approach to teamwork;
* Sensitivity to different cultures and work styles;
* Demonstrable personal commitment to the public health goals of the MPP.
MPP respects all individuals regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, HIV status or disability. All qualified applications are welcome.
If you recognise yourself in this description, please send a cover letter and C.V. to recruitment at medicinespatentpool.org<http://firstname.lastname@example.org/> including “Associate Counsel” as reference in the subject line by 16 February 2020.
Sophie Thievenaz | Communications Manager | Medicines Patent Pool
Rue de Varembé 7, 1202 Geneva, Switzerland
Tel: +41 22 533 50 63 | Mob: +41 79 870 85 52
E-mail: sthievenaz at medicinespatentpool.org<mailto:sthievenaz at medicinespatentpool.org>
Website<http://www.medicinespatentpool.org/> | Newsletter<http://www.medicinespatentpool.org/news-room/newsletter/> | Twitter<http://twitter.com/MedsPatentPool> | LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/company/medicines-patent-pool>
More information about the Ip-health