[Ip-health] AP: Health experts slam US deal for large supply ofvirus drug

Joseph Fortunak jfortunak at comcast.net
Thu Jul 2 09:52:54 PDT 2020

Please, may I raise a few issues related to Prof. Baker’s discussion?  I’m absolutely on board with Brook’s comments below.

1. I’m assuming that there are few if any limitations to the Emergency Use of remdesivir for COVID-19 in other countries. So that regulatory considerations are not a hurdle to treatment. Can anyone comment more specifically on that?
2. Do we know that Method of Use patents for dexamethasone in COVID have not been filed?  In many countries this won’t be a consideration. It would be both shocking and hard to enforce, but for the US and other high-income countries this may be a problem.
3. Comment: Gilead Sciences has historically run a lean manufacturing organization. They don’t have capacity to provide for the ROW. The companies who have licenses from Gilead for low and middle income countries are pricing at about $40/vial. That’s where the supply will come from. But this of course leaves out the many countries not covered by the terms of the licensing agreements.

Joseph M. Fortunak
Professor, Chemistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences
Howard University
Washington, DC 20059 USA
jfortunak at comcast.net

Sent from Mail for Windows 10