[Ip-health] BMJ: How a US-UK trade agreement could affect NHS drug prices

Dzintars Gotham dzintarsgotham at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 04:36:16 PDT 2020

Dear colleagues,

The BMJ has just published our short comment on what to look out for in any eventual US-UK trade agreement, with regard to measures that may affect UK drug prices:

Gotham D, Barber MJ, Hill AM. How a US-UK trade agreement could affect NHS drug prices. BMJ 2020; 369 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m1332(Published 01 June 2020).
https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m1332?sso=

The article is mainly directed at readers who may not be familiar with trade agreements and health. The areas we outline are key areas based on previous issues in trade agreements – IP related provisions and regulatory exclusivities, ISDS, and provisions limiting price negotiation mechanisms. Of course this is not an exhaustive list of areas that could have an effect.

Also see similar recent commentaries:

Martin McKee: Is the NHS “on the table” after Brexit? Looking beyond the soundbites. November 1, 2019. BMJ Opinion. https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2019/11/01/martin-mckee-is-the-nhs-on-the-table-after-brexit-looking-beyond-the-soundbites/

Jarman H, McKee M, Hervey TK. Health, transatlantic trade, and President Trump’s populism: what American Patients First has to do with Brexit and the NHS. Lancet 2018;392:447-50.

And worth noting that certain draft texts have recently been published – https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/our-approach-to-the-future-relationship-with-the-eu – though these are likely early drafts.

With kind regards,

Dzintars

--
Dzintars Gotham