[Ip-health] Reuters: Gavi plans advance market agreement for COVID-19 vaccines

Thiru Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Thu Jun 4 00:48:25 PDT 2020

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-vaccines-advance/vaccine-group-plans-advance-market-agreement-for-covid-19-vaccines-idUSKBN23A2SP

HEALTH NEWSJUNE 3, 2020 / 7:12 PM / UPDATED 14 HOURS AGO

Vaccine group plans advance market agreement for COVID-19 vaccines

Kate Kelland

LONDON (Reuters) - The GAVI vaccines alliance is to launch an Advance
Market Commitment (AMC) for future COVID-19 vaccines which it says will
help secure access to the new shots for poorer countries.

The AMC mechanism should provide incentives to vaccine manufacturers to
invest in large scale production capacity even as they develop new products
and before full-scale trials have shown whether they work, GAVI’s chief
executive officer Seth Berkley told Reuters.

In return GAVI will agree to buy large quantities of vaccines at
established and equitable prices to ensure initial doses are not
immediately snapped up by rich countries.

“GAVI is worried about the low- and middle income countries,” Berkley said
in a telephone interview on Wednesday.

<SNIP>

Among front runners currently in trials are potential vaccines being
developed by AstraZeneca, CanSino Biologics, Pfizer and BioNtech, Johnson &
Johnson, Merck, Moderna and Sanofi.

<SNIP>

“The worry we have is that unless we scale up production dramatically right
now, and do that at risk, when the vaccines are available, they could be
bought up by wealthy countries,” Berkley said.

“We’re trying to put together a facility that has global scope and that
will work with manufacturers and help them scale up by saying to them: ‘If
you have a successful vaccine, we will buy it’.”

Berkley declined to say which potential vaccines or manufacturers would be
covered in GAVI’s initial AMC proposal, but said more details on that may
be released later this week.

--
Thiru Balasubramaniam
Geneva Representative