[Ip-health] Taxpayers are subsidizing 80 percent of Regeneron’s COVID-19 treatment’s R&D costs

kathryn ardizzone kathryn.ardizzone at keionline.org
Fri Oct 9 06:20:02 PDT 2020

https://www.keionline.org/34126

*Taxpayers are subsidizing 80 percent of Regeneron’s COVID-19 treatment’s
R&D costs*

Kathryn Ardizzone
October 8, 2020

Regeneron Pharmaceutical recently applied for Emergency Use Authorization
of its investigational COVID-19 treatment, REGN-COV2, after Donald Trump
said that it cured him of COVID-19, suggesting that Regeneron expects to
cash in on the treatment. Taxpayers, however, are funding 80 percent of the
costs of developing REGN-COV2.

Regeneron’s May 5, 2020 SEC filing states as follows (emphasis added):

*We are using our end-to-end antibody technologies to discover and develop
brand new therapeutic antibodies for COVID-19. The Company is advancing
REGN-COV2, a novel investigational antibody “cocktail” treatment designed
to prevent and treat infection from the SARS-CoV-2 virus. In April, the
Company moved its leading neutralizing antibodies into pre-clinical and
clinical-scale cell production lines and plans to have supply available for
clinical studies, which are expected to begin in June 2020.The Company is
also working to rapidly scale-up manufacturing.The Company also announced
an expansion of its Other Transaction Agreement (“OTA”) with BARDA,
pursuant to which HHS is obligated to fund 80% of our costs incurred for
certain research and development activities related to COVID-19 treatments.*
Regeneron should open license the IP rights, data, know-how, and cell lines
necessary to manufacture the COVID-19 treatment to the World Health
Organization COVID-19 Technology Access Pool (C-TAP), a global framework
for the voluntary licensing of rights in COVID-19 medical technologies. A
deep technology transfer to C-TAP, i.e., one that enables other qualified
companies to manufacture the licensed technologies, is the best way to
ensure that any treatment or vaccine deemed safe and effective is
distributed as widely and quickly as possible.

--
Kathryn Ardizzone, Esq.
Counsel
kathryn.ardizzone at keionline.org