[Ip-health] Health Policy Watch: China, Republic of Korea Join COVAX Global Vaccine Pool – WHO Urges Countries To Jumpstart Vaccine Campaigns

Thiru Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Fri Oct 9 14:37:30 PDT 2020

<SNIP>

In a related move, the WHO Director General said, “We also welcome the
announcement by one vaccine developer, Moderna, that it will not enforce
its patent rights over its COVID-19 vaccine during the pandemic.”

The company, in an announcement Thursday to shareholders, said it would
“not enforce” its COVID-19-related patents against other companies making
vaccines to combat the pandemic – and would also be willing to license
intellectual property for their COVID-19 vaccines for the post pandemic
period.

But Moderna’s chief executives stopped short of saying whether the company
would formally offer its vaccines through the COVAX procurement pool that
WHO and Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, are co-sponsoring, or whether it would
engage with the ‘COVID-19 Technology Access Pool,’ which aims to reduce IP
barriers for low and middle income countries that need to access COVID-19
health products.

Said Dr Tedros, “We look forward to learning more about what this
announcement means in terms of technology transfer. We appreciate this act
of solidarity, which is in line with the principles of the COVID-19
Technology Access Pool.”

--

https://healthpolicy-watch.news/china-joints-covax-global-vaccine-pool-who-urges-countries-to-jumpstart-vaccine-campaigns/

China, Republic of Korea Join COVAX Global Vaccine Pool – WHO Urges
Countries To Jumpstart Vaccine Campaigns
News 09/10/2020 • Elaine Ruth Fletcher & Madeleine Hoecklin

China has announced that it will join the WHO co-sponsored COVAX vaccine
procurement pool, along with the Republic of Korea.

WHO’s Director General Dr Tedros described it as a major boost to the
global effort to manufacture and distribute 2 billion vaccines worldwide
equitably by the end of 2021.

“This week, China and the Republic of Korea have now joined the COVAX
facility, bringing the total number of countries and economies that are
part of the global initiative for vaccine accesses to 171,” said Dr Tedros,
speaking at a WHO press conference on Friday.

Tedros said that the facility would enable WHO to “distribute vaccines
simultaneously to priority populations, including health care workers,
older people and those with underlying conditions.”

Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO Director-General at a press conference
on Friday.

[...]

In announcing the move to join the vaccine facility, a Chinese Foreign
Ministry spokesperson said: “We are taking this concrete step to ensure
equitable distribution of vaccines, especially to developing countries, and
hope more capable countries will also join and support Covax.”

The moves by China, as well as Korea, mark a major signal of support for
the global initiative, particularly after the United States in September
said it didn’t want to be “constrained by multilateral organizations
influenced by the corrupt World Health Organization and China.” The US
go-it-alone approach to COVID-19 vaccine access and distribution, is based
on its own sizable pre-purchase agreements with leading pharma developers
of front-runner vaccine candidates, including Moderna, Pfizer, and Johnson
& Johnson. The European Union has also thrown its support behind the
facility, along with non EU  Switzerland and Norway, as well as Japan.

--
Thiru Balasubramaniam
Geneva Representative
thiru at keionline.org