[Ip-health] DNDi's Dr. Bernard Pecoul on South Africa/India TRIPS proposal

Rachel M. Cohen rachel.cohen72 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 01:59:06 PDT 2020

“It is critical that commitments to equitable access to COVID-19 vaccines,
diagnostics, and drugs are translated into tangible health tools in the
hands of clinicians and patients. We at DNDi know firsthand how intellectual
property restrictions can obstruct research, production, and distribution of
affordable health technologies. Overcoming these obstacles is one of the
most important steps governments can take to ensure COVID-19 vaccines,
diagnostics, and drugs are available to everyone who needs them.

“We strongly support the proposal of South Africa and India to the World
Trade Organization, which would allow countries to choose whether to grant
or enforce patents and other intellectual property related to COVID-19, and
to take other steps necessary to ensure open sharing of knowledge and data,
including through technology transfer. We urge other countries to support
this proposal without delay, and to make use of TRIPS flexibilities where
intellectual property barriers already exist, to ensure that all people –
including the poorest, most vulnerable, and those at highest risk – are
guaranteed timely and equitable access to the fruits of scientific progress
in this pandemic.”

-Dr. Bernard Pécoul, Executive Director, Drugs for Neglected Diseases
initiative (DNDi)

--

Rachel M. Cohen | Regional Executive Director

Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative – North America

40 Rector Street, 16th Floor | New York, NY 10006 | USA

T: +1 646 215 7083 | M: +1 646 824 3064 |  <mailto:rcohen at dndi.org>
rcohen at dndi.org | skype: rachelmcohen

Best Science for the Most Neglected |  <http://www.dndi.org> www.dndi.org