[Ip-health] SAVE THE DATE 17th March 15 CET No Business as Usual: Challenging the IP Protection Framework Now and After COVID-19

Jaume Vidal jaume at haiweb.org
Fri Mar 12 06:42:42 PST 2021

Dear friends,
I hope you are well. I am glad to share this discussion on IP constraints for access to health technologies, why it happens and what can be done about it. If interested, do register!
Best,
Jaume

No Business as Usual: Challenging the IP Protection Framework
Now and After COVID-19

Virtual Panel Discussion
Wednesday 17 March
1500-1600 (CET)
Register: https://bit.ly/IPreform

The COVID-19 pandemic has posed many challenges to governments attempting to protect their citizens and ensure access to vaccines, therapeutics, and other health goods. While in the early stages of the pandemic some governments, and the European Commission, pledged collaboration to make vaccines global public goods, reality has evolved in a different direction. We have witnessed wealthier countries engaging in vaccine hoarding, with the challenge this poses exacerbated by manufacturers unable to meet global demand yet resisting all calls to share know-how or collaborate in scaling-up production. The symptoms of this are clear, but what are the remedies?

Panellists:
*           Tilly Metz, Member of the European Parliament, Greens/EFA
*           K.M. Gopakumar, Policy Advisor, Third World Network
*           Dr. Geraldo Vidigal, International Law Professor, University of Amsterdam
*           Julie Steendam, Campaign Coordinator, Right2Cure
Moderator: Nicoletta Dentico, Health Programme Lead, Society for International Development.

Register here to join the discussion: https://bit.ly/IPreform

JAUME VIDAL
Senior Policy Advisor, EU Projects
Health Action International
T: +31 (0) 20 412 4523 | M: +31 (0) 6 2831 8884 | jaume at haiweb.org<mailto:jaume at haiweb.org>
Overtoom 60 (2) | 1054 HK Amsterdam | The Netherlands
Monday-Friday 8.45-16.45
www.haiweb.org<http://www.haiweb.org/>
EU Transparency Register: 44361352681-84