[Ip-health] Can the Next USPTO Director Bring Equity to the Patent System?

Priti Krishtel priti at i-mak.org
Wed Mar 17 14:22:41 PDT 2021

Dear Friends,

On his first day in office, President Biden issued an executive order
<https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/01/20/executive-order-advancing-racial-equity-and-support-for-underserved-communities-through-the-federal-government/#:~:text=Affirmatively%20advancing%20equity%2C%20civil%20rights,the%20whole%20of%20our%20Government.&text=By%20advancing%20equity%20across%20the,historically%20underserved%2C%20which%20benefits%20everyone.>
requiring
all federal agencies to identify and fix systemic inequities in their
operations. As we recently laid out in this op-ed
<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/09/opinion/biden-patent-office.html> in
The New York Times (
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/09/opinion/biden-patent-office.html), few
agencies are as ripe for the application of this kind of equity lens as the
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (PTO), the federal agency that oversees
patents, trademarks, and designs. Here are ten actions the White House,
Congress, and the PTO should take to answer the President’s call to advance
equity across government.

* Read the piece here: *
https://medium.com/i-mak/10-steps-the-biden-harris-administration-should-take-to-bring-equity-to-our-patent-system-a50304bfe228

Best,
Priti and Tahir

--
*Priti Radha Krishtel*
Pronounced PrEE-th (TH like thought)-EE. It means love [image: 🌿]